It seems that I’m currently on a pizza streak, since this is my second pizza recipe this week (can’t you tell that I’ve been craving pizza?)! This is slightly different from the Garlic Chicken Pizza recipe I posted a few days ago, as this is more on the meaty side (and who says that you can’t enjoy meat and cheese while eating in 40/30/30?)
This recipe is a hybrid of Domino’s Bacon Cheeseburger pizza but on 100-calorie Panini Slim halves that I love to buy at Trader Joe’s – they’re the perfect size for portion control and making mini pizzas! The tomato-sauce is very simple, and the burger part of the dish is mainly ground turkey that has been seasoned very simply to give it its “cheeseburger” character (as you can already tell by now, ground turkey is an excellent replacement for ground beef in many sauteed recipes). Since regular bacon is very fatty, I replaced this with turkey bacon, which is still a great substitute that lends its smoky, meaty accents that I would normally get from traditional pork bacon. Finally, the use of light mozzarella cheese and American cheese gave me the subtle richness I needed to round off that wonderful bacon cheeseburger pizza flavor.
These pizzas are great for on-the-go snacking or as appetizers for your next shindig. Who says that pizza has to be unhealthy? 🙂
(makes 16 slices)
2 packages Panini slims
8 oz. fat-free ground turkey breast
8 oz. 93/7 ground turkey
8 oz. light shredded mozzarella cheese
4 slices 2% American cheese
8 slices turkey bacon
1 cup tomato sauce
2 tsp. garlic
1 tsp. italian seasoning
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- On a baking sheet, arrange turkey bacon and bake for 10-15 minutes until crispy. Let cool for 10-15 minutes then crumble in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a saucepan under medium heat, spray lightly with cooking oil and add garlic, tomato sauce and italian seasoning and stir until sauce begins to simmer. Set aside.
- In a skillet or saute pan, spray lightly with cooking oil and add ground turkey, salt and pepper. Saute until meat has brown and all juices have evaporated (about 10-15 minutes). Set aside and let cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut American cheese into 1/4″ strips.
- In a large bowl, combine both cheeses, ground turkey and crumbled bacon.
- On two baking sheets, separate and arrange panini slims (about 8 halves per sheet).
- To assemble pizzas: 1) pour 1 tbsp. sauce; 2) sprinkle cheese/turkey/bacon mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.