For the past few months, I’d been contemplating on making my own desserts and snacks 30/40/30 – ever since I’ve begun my journey into better health and weight loss, the only thing that I missed was eating snacks and desserts that were healthier for you. I’ve tried various meal replacement and protein bars that are out in the market, and they were either essentially bad for you (a reinvented “healthy” snack bar that’s high in sugars and fats), or they tasted very processed and disgusting. I figured that if I wanted to eat desserts and snacks the healthy way, why not figure out how to make them in macros, right?
So here’s my first offering into the world of 30/40/30 desserts – Peanut Butter & Jelly Blondies! After playing around with whey & casein-mixed protein powder and studying recipes, I was able to come up with something pretty damn tasty – so good that my trainer wants me to bring him more after he tried them for the first time! 🙂
In short, I made a few healthier substitutes – by using oat flour rather than white flour, Truvia Brown Sugar Baking Blend instead of brown sugar, egg replacement (such as Egg Beaters) for (duh!) eggs, and a mixture of both powdered peanut butter (such as PB2) and reduced-fat peanut butter to give these delicious blondies a nutty-rich flavor that balances both your sweet tooth and some of that creaminess we all crave.
This is probably one of my favorite 30/40/30 dessert recipes so far – I’m sure that after you make these the first time, you’ll want to make a few batches to last you a month.
5/8/2016 – I’ve updated my original recipe to where I’ve been able to decrease the calories by approximately 25% – please see the edits below. Thanks!
(makes 48 pieces)
5/8 cup Truvia Brown Sugar Baking Blend
6 packets powdered stevia extract
1 cup water
1/8 cup canola oil
½ tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup egg replacement (Egg Beaters or similar brand recommended)
1/2 cup powdered peanut butter (PB2 brand recommended)
1 cup oat flour
¼ tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup reduced-fat peanut butter
½ cup reduced- sugar strawberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Sift protein powder, oat flour, powdered stevia extract, salt, baking powder, and powdered peanut butter in a separate bowl and mix until well-combined.
3. Mix Truvia, 1/4 cup peanut butter, egg replacement, water, vanilla extract and canola oil until all ingredients are well-combined.
5. Add all dry ingredients in the bowl with all wet ingredients and mix until well-combined
6. Lightly spray 2 9” x 13” baking pans and pour mixture equally into both pans.
7. Drop the remaining peanut butter and strawberry preserves on top of the batter equally between the two pans. To create a marbling effect, stick a knife into the pans and swirl the knife around (make sure that the knife tip is touching the bottom of the pan!)
8. Bake in the center rack for 30-35 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean to test for doneness.