I must admit that I have a secret love for fast food (then again, who doesn’t? :-)). When I was in high school, my friends and I would cut class to go to the Taco Bell/KFC combo restaurant so that we could chow down on some greasy comfort food. Oh, how I miss those days…
The last time I had fast food was when I went to Arby’s at Times Square about two months ago (not by choice – I had just finished working out from the gym and was looking forward to eating an awesome grilled chicken sandwich and sweet potato fries cheat meal from Schnipper’s when I discovered that they were closed for a private event…boy, was I pissed off that day…the closest thing that resembled to Schnipper’s that was close by was Arby’s). It definitely felt weird eating that kind of processed food that I felt sick to my stomach for the rest of the day. It will most likely be another 6 months before I eat something like that again.
However, sometimes I miss the flavor of that kind of food – luckily enough, I’ve been able to make my own version of Taco Bell fast food that I don’t even miss eating Taco Bell anymore!
I decided to stick to the typical white tortilla (since white tortillas are just 50x better tasting than wheat tortillas…blech), and used ground turkey, taco seasoning, guacamole, pico de gallo (or salsa from a bottle), light mexican cheese, fat-free refried beans, and nonfat greek yogurt. The best part is, it definitely satisfies my Taco Bell craving, and it’s good for me! 🙂
I definitely make this recipe at least once a month and make a large batch of these, since these are soooooo delicious!
Try these out for a spin the next time you crave Mexican-style fast food! 🙂
HEALTH ALERT – Please note that this meal is high in sodium (for anyone who currently has high blood pressure)
(makes 16 servings)
2 packages large burrito-style white tortillas
20.8 oz. 93/7 ground turkey
20.8 oz. fat-free ground turkey
2 packets taco seasoning
1 16 oz. can fat-free refried beans
1 12 oz. light mexican shredded cheese
1 8 oz. container pico de gallo or salsa
1 8 oz. container guacamole
1 8 oz. non-fat greek yogurt
1. In a skillet under medium heat, saute ground turkey and cook with taco seasoning as directed from the packet.
2. Line 16 pieces of foil on a hard, flat surface and place a tortilla on top of each piece of foil.
3. Scoop 1/8 tbsp. of refried beans onto each tortilla; then, add 1 tbsp. each of greek yogurt, pico de gallo and guacamole on top of the refried beans.
4. Add 3/4 oz. of cheese in each tortilla; then, measure out 62 grams (or approximately 1/4 cup) of ground turkey per tortilla.
5. Roll each tortilla into a burrito – 1) warm each tortilla in a skillet for 30 seconds; 2) fold tortilla like an envelope by folding opposing ends inward and then folding up the rounded end closest to you; 3) roll this end away from you like a jellyroll until all filling is fully encased by the tortilla.
6. Wrap in foil for storage.